Friday, July 18, 2008

Maritime Trip Day 3

No pictures from this day on my camera since I lost them to corrupted data. I walked the quarter mile of cottage property from the building down to the beach. The walk itself was miserable. The scenery was beautiful, but the mosquitos, black flies, deer flies and other flying insects that dive bombed my head were maddening. Apparently this is a really bad year here for mosquitos and other flies. Something to do with a lot of rain in June. Its not as bad once it gets hot out, and when there's a breeze. Later we went into Amherst to get those hats with mosquito netting.

Once I climbed down the short slope to the beach, I left most of the insects behind. I was there at high tide, which out here makes a _big_ difference. I'll have some high / low tide comparison pictures posted in the next few days. Later back at the cottage, we all saw a fox outside.

Anyhow, the next trip down to the beach armed with the netting and at a better hour was much nicer. The tide was low and we were able to walk out to the water past stranded jelly fish to see a bunch of small hermit crabs trying to steal food from each other in shallow water. Otherwise this was a day of rest after all the driving of the previous days. Next update may be more interesting.

In the meantime here are a few pictures of the non cookie-cutter houses in Amherst.





More photo's here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Joseph.Slonimsky/AmherstNovaScotia

No comments: